Students from The City of London Academy Islington celebrate GCSE results despite COVID-19
Students at the City of London Academy Islington are today celebrating excellent GCSE results.
Amongst those celebrating were:
- Megan Holman - 9 grade 9s in all of her subjects
- Imani Anderson-Wickens – 9s in English Literature and Language, Drama and History. 8s in Maths and Biology, 7s in Chemistry and French
- Emre Arslan – 9 in Maths and Turkish, 8 in Business, Chemistry and Physics and 7 in English Language
- Ayesha Hussain – 9s in English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Business and 8s in English Literature and History
Also celebrating were:
- Sophia Protopapa – 8s in English Language, History, Business and Psychology. 8-7 in combined science and 7s in English Literature and Maths
- Hasan Yucel – 9 in Turkish, 8 in Chemistry, Physics and History, 7 in English Language, English Literature, Maths and Business
- Naidan Salvador – 9 in Spanish, 8s in English Literature and Language, Maths and French. 7s in Chemistry and Physics
Sonia Jacob, Headteacher at The City of Academy Islington, said:
“We are incredibly proud of our students who have achieved great results in very challenging circumstances.
“Their grades are a reflection of their commitment to their studies and their high aspirations for themselves.
“I wish them every success in the next phase of their journey.”
Clare Verga, Executive Principal at The City of London Academy Islington, said:
“We are delighted for our students. They have achieved excellent results which reflect their hard work and dedication and the outstanding support they received from their teachers.
“We wish them every success in their future endeavours.”
The City of London Academy Islington, based on Prebend Street, is co-sponsored by the City of London Corporation and City, University of London.
Ann Holmes, Chair of the City of London Corporation’s Education Board, said:
“This year has been particularly challenging, but today’s results make clear that pupils and teachers alike have successfully risen to the task. Congratulations to all.”
“I would like to take this opportunity to wish each and every pupil the very best of luck for their future.”
The City of London Corporation sponsors or co-sponsors 10 academies across Hackney, Newham, Islington and Southwark.
It has twice been named by social mobility charity Sutton Trust as the UK’s best academy sponsor for empowering pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds to perform above the national average, and the leading academy sponsor for Progress 8 and Attainment 8, which track pupil progress and achievement.
Notes to Editors
About the City of London Corporation:
The City of London Corporation is the governing body of the Square Mile dedicated to a vibrant and thriving City, supporting a diverse and sustainable London within a globally-successful UK. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk
The City of London Corporation family of schools has one maintained primary school and 10 sponsored or co-sponsored academies in neighbouring boroughs. It also supports three independent schools.
The City of London Corporation sponsors, co-sponsors or governs the following schools:
O City of London Academy, Islington (co-sponsor City, University of London)
O The City Academy, Hackney (co-sponsor KPMG)
City of London Academies Trust:
O City of London Academy (Southwark)
O Redriff Primary, City of London Academy
O Galleywall Primary, City of London Academy
O City of London Primary Academy Islington
O City of London Academy Highgate Hill
O City of London Academy Highbury Grove
O City of London Academy Shoreditch Park
O Newham Collegiate Sixth Form Centre City of London Academy
Local Authority maintained school:
O Sir John Cass’s Foundation Primary School
O City of London School
O City of London School for Girls
O City of London Freemen’s School