Heatwave: stay hydrated in the City and refill water bottles for free
The City of London Corporation is advising people to stay safe and hydrated during the heatwave.
People can find a network of City water fountains and bars, pubs, restaurants and other businesses providing free water bottle refills on the Refill app.
The NHS is offering the following advice:
- Look out for those who might struggle to keep themselves cool and hydrated
- Drink plenty of fluids and avoid excess alcohol
- Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially infants, young children or animals
- Try to keep out of the sun between 11am to 3pm
- Apply sunscreen regularly and wear a wide brimmed hat, if you have to go out in the heat
- Avoid exercising in the hottest parts of the day
- Make sure you take water with you, if you are travelling
- If you are going into open water to cool down, take care and follow local safety advice
Deputy Chair of the City of London Corporation’s Community and Children’s Services Committee, Helen Fentimen, said:
“While most of us welcome warm weather, when it is very hot it can pose huge health risks.
“With the weather continuing to be so warm, it is important to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water to stay safe.
“We know that excessive heat can be extremely dangerous for the more vulnerable. Please keep an eye on the elderly, the young and those who may be homeless or sleeping rough.”
A Level 3 health-alert in five regions of the country, including London and the wider Southeast, has been issued by the UK Health Security Agency, with the Met Office forecasting high temperatures throughout the week.
To find out more on how to stay safe during the heatwave visit Staying healthy and well during the Summer months - City of London.
About the City of London Corporation:
The City of London Corporation is the governing body of the Square Mile dedicated to a vibrant and thriving City, supporting a diverse and sustainable London within a globally-successful UK. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk