First ever Global Investment Management Summit held in London
Today (28 March) the City of London Corporation will jointly host the inaugural Global Investment Management Summit which will showcase the UK’s strength in the sector by bringing together major global banks, pension schemes and sovereign wealth funds.
The Summit, in partnership with the Investment Association, the UK Department for Business and Trade and 21 leading investment firms, including Schroders, Abrdn, LGIM, JP Morgan, Vanguard and BlackRock, will discuss how to meet the broader geopolitical and economic challenges facing the world while also maximising investment opportunities through the UK’s world-leading investment management industry.
Prominent speakers at the Summit will include:
· Lord Dominic Johnson of Lainston, CBE, Minister for Investment, Department for Business and Trade;
· Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Andrew Griffith;
· Chief Executive of the Financial Conduct Authority, Nikhil Rathi;
· former NATO Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe, Sir Richard Shirreff;
· former European Commissioner for Financial Stability, Financial Services and Capital Markets Union, Lord Jonathan Hill.
This event is part of the UK's Global Investment Futures campaign launched last year by the City of London Corporation in partnership with the UK Department for Business and Trade and the Investment Association to preserve and promote the UK as a leading investment management centre globally.
The UK is the second largest investment management centre in the world, accounting for approximately 15% of global assets under management. £11.6tn of assets are managed for clients in the UK and internationally and a large number of overseas investors already operate offices in London and other cities in the UK.
Lord Mayor of the City of London Corporation, Nicholas Lyons said:
“I’m delighted to be hosting the first ever Global Investment Management Summit.
Investment management is one of the UK’s great untold success stories. The UK is not only good at drawing capital into its borders but also great at spreading capital throughout the world.
“But we cannot afford to be complacent. To ensure the UK’s future success we must not only continue to build on our strengths, but we must also highlight these strengths to the rest of the world. The Global Investment Futures campaign hopes to achieve just that.”
Minister for Investment, Lord Dominic Johnson said:
"The Global Investment Management Summit will be a fantastic opportunity to highlight the UK’s international expertise in sustainable investment, green finance, diverse talent, and world-class investment management.
“I'm looking forward to meeting leading minds across government, regulation finance, and industry academia at the Summit in the vibrant city of London.”
Chief Executive of the Investment Association, Chris Cummings said:
“The UK is open for business, and the investment management industry plays a crucial role in the success of the economy, supporting businesses and households across the country. The Global Investment Futures campaign highlights the UK as a truly global centre for investment management, building financial resilience for millions of people, driving forward innovation and powering the businesses of the future. The Global Investment Management Summit provides a centre stage to hear from leading experts and policymakers on the biggest opportunities and challenges ahead for our industry.”
Notes to editors
About the City of London Corporation
The City of London Corporation is the governing body of the Square Mile dedicated to a vibrant and thriving City, supporting a diverse and sustainable London within a globally-successful UK. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk.
About the Investment Association (IA):
- The IA champions UK investment management, supporting British savers, investors and businesses. Our 250 members manage £10 trillion of assets and the investment management industry supports 114,000 jobs across the UK.
- Our mission is to make investment better. Better for clients, so they achieve their financial goals. Better for companies, so they get the capital they need to grow. And better for the economy, so everyone prospers.
- Our purpose is to ensure investment managers are in the best possible position to:
- Build people’s resilience to financial adversity
- Help people achieve their financial aspirations
- Enable people to maintain a decent standard of living as they grow older
- Contribute to economic growth through the efficient allocation of capital.
- The money our members manage is in a wide variety of investment vehicles including authorised investment funds, pension funds and stocks and shares ISAs.
- The UK is the second largest investment management centre in the world, after the US and manages 37% of all assets managed in Europe.
About the sponsors
The full list of the 21 Investment Management firms hosting the summit are:
· BNY Mellon Investment Management
· Jupiter Asset Management
· Liontrust Asset Management
· Federated Hermes Limited
· Legal & General Investment Management
· Impax Asset Management
· Fidelity International
· M&G Investments
· ClearBridge Investments (a Franklin Templeton Specialist Investment Manager)
· Northern Trust Asset Management
· Aviva Investors
· BlackRock Investment Institute
· Janus Henderson Investors
· Capital Group
· J.P. Morgan Asset Management
· Goldman Sachs Asset Management
· Royal London Asset Management