City Lord Mayor to strengthen ties with Cardiff
The Lord Mayor of the City of London Peter Estlin will visit Cardiff today (22 November) to strengthen links between the two cities.
The Lord Mayor serves as an international ambassador for the UK’s financial and professional services sector and will lead business delegations to around 30 key international markets. He will be calling on Cardiff-based businesses to join him on these overseas trade missions to take advantage of new opportunities around the globe.
During his time in Cardiff, the Lord Mayor will meet with local business leaders. He is also expected to meet with the Secretary of State for Wales, Alun Cairns MP, and the Leader of Cardiff Council, Councillor Huw Thomas. Topics of discussion are likely to include how the two cities can work more closely in financial services, Brexit and skills.
The Lord Mayor will also be promoting innovation and technology, championing digital skills and addressing digital and social inclusion as part of his “Shaping Tomorrow’s City Today” programme.
Lord Mayor of the City of London Peter Estlin said:
“I’m delighted to be visiting Cardiff and meeting a number of key business leaders to discuss the challenges and opportunities facing our two cities.
“Cardiff is an innovative hub with an increasingly vibrant financial and digital offer.
“As we edge towards our departure from the European Union, it will be vital for our two cities – Cardiff and London – to work together to ensure that the UK remains a world leading financial hub.”
A recent report by the think tank Centre for Cities and the City of London Corporation found that Cardiff topped the list of UK cities when it came to finance’s share of services exports. Financial services accounts for over a half (54%) of Cardiff’s total exports and 81% of its services exports.
In April this year, the City of London Corporation decided to double resources committed to its regional strategy. This specifically set out that the City of London would work to strengthen links with Cardiff on a number of key issues, including: inward investment, trade links and raising awareness of export opportunities.
Notes to editors
1. About the Lord Mayor of the City of London:
- The Lord Mayor is the elected head of the City of London Corporation for one year and the position is unpaid and apolitical.
- The Lord Mayor is an international ambassador for the UK’s financial and professional services sector.
- More information on the Lord Mayor can be found here.
2. The City of London Corporation is the governing body of the Square Mile dedicated to a vibrant and thriving City, supporting a diverse and sustainable London within a globally-successful UK. www.cityoflondon.gov.uk